Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oh pizza how I miss thee!

Pizza is probably one of the things I miss most while not eating dairy.  It is like torture when someone orders it (someone being my husband:).  Though not quite the same as that with bubbling,creamy, salty cheese, the craving can be somewhat averted by getting some good pizza dough at a bakery or Italian deli (or making it yourself is really pretty easy) and topping either with sauce and sausage cut up or sauce and pepperoni.  Tonight, I decided to try goat cheese and see if the baby can tolerate it.  I made the following pizza and, boy, was it yummy!


Arugula, Carmelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza


Ingredients:
1/3 a large red onion cut up
3 cups arugula
2.5 ounces goat cheese
pizza dough of your choice


Directions:
I carmelized the onions in Trader Joe's Organic Garlic Flavored Olive Oil.  Carmelizing onions is simple- just cook over low heat stirring occasionally make sure to use a large enough pan so that all the onions touch the bottom of the pan (this slow cooking brings out the sweet flavor and natural sugar in the onion- hence the term of "caramelizing" onions) until they are soft and turn a golden brown (about 15-20 minutes).  Add salt and pepper.  You can also add a little bit of sugar to help it along. Turn the heat up to medium and add the arugula. Cook until the arugula is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.


I use ready made pizza dough from a local Italian deli and roll it out with a little bit of flour (combination of rolling pin covered in flour and my hands- yes in the stereotypical knuckle rolling in the air NYC pizza shop window way (just for a minute or I end up with a hole in my dough from over zealous twirling).  Top the dough with the arugula/onion mixture. Crumble some goat cheese on top  and bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Allow to cool for a few minutes, cut and serve.
Ready for the oven!!!





























No comments:

Post a Comment