Monday, February 6, 2012

Kosher is more than kosher

I have been going to Stoneground Bakery ever since moving to the area about 1.5 years ago.  I never realized they are a Kosher Bakery- all I knew is I liked their sweet treats. I also didn't know what Kosher Parve meant....until now.  What does it mean?  It means... sweet Jesus I can eat it!  As a breastfeeding mommy of a finicky baby- boy does it matter and man am I happy.


I also recently tried a new restaurant in the area and literally sang my way through breakfast I was so happy.  Here are a few places where I can actually order something with confidence that I am not poisoning my baby (because really that is what it feels like when she is screaming and arching as I try and nurse her):


  • Stoneground Bakery: It is off of Canwood before Trader Joes in Agoura Hills. Because they are a Kosher bakery look for the cases that have Kosher Parve (which means it is non-dairy), not Kosher Dairy (which means it has dairy).  A few favorites include their black and white cookie (takes me back to my NYC deli days), Cinnamon Chopper,  carrot muffin, and their ginger scone.  They also do Caffe Americanas and have the powdered Mocha Mix non-dairy creamer.
  • Hugo's in the Whizins shopping plaza in Agoura Hills:  They have vegan options and rice milk for lattes. (I recommend their Decaf Chai Latte made with steamed rice milk and a little side of steamed soy milk).  They even have non-dairy butter (insert angels singing here)...I could go on and on.  I am going to try their lunch and dinner menu very soon and will let you know...
  • Bean Scene in Oak Park has a decaf black tea option and non-dairy creamer (though it may have a milk derivative in it- so depending on the sensitivity level of your baby you may want to clarify with them).
  • Costco's fruit smoothie, I was told, has no dairy in it-so I went for it and it was yummy.  Of course you can also get a juice only smoothie from Jamba Juice and from The Tomato Patch in Agoura Hills (next to Golden Spoon). So you can stop feeling sorry for yourself when you stop to get your toddler some frozen yogurt as you too can now have a frozen concoction to help you hang on - thank you Mr. Buffet).





No comments:

Post a Comment